The QL40-ABI-2G is the latest generation of acoustic televiewers based on 20 years of experience and market leadership. The new system consists of a completely redesigned acoustic sensor and new electronics.
The acoustic borehole imager records a 360°unwrapped and 3D image of the borehole wall. The tool emits an ultrasonic beam towards the formation and records the amplitude and the travel time of the reflected signal. The amplitude record is representative of the impedance contrast between the rocks and fluid. The travel time is used to determine accurate borehole diameter data, which makes the tool ideal for borehole deformation description – stress field analysis and casing inspection.
A built in high precision orientation package incorporating a 3 axis fluxgate magnetometer and 3 accelerometers allows orientation of the images to a global reference and determination of the borehole’s azimuth and inclination. Sophisticated algorithms and real time processes are also implemented to extend the tool applications for casing thickness measurement, corrosion evaluation and measurement behind a PVC casing.
The QL40-ABI-2G tool is stackable within the Quick Link (QL) product line or it can be run as a standalone tool. The ABI40-GR is a standalone tool integrating a built in natural gamma sensor.
Read the Release Note for this new tool!
- Detailed and oriented caliper and structural information
- Borehole deformation (stress field analysis)
- Fracture detection and evaluation
- Breakout analysis
- Detection of thin beds
- Determination of bedding dip
- Lithology characterizations
- Rock strength
- Casing inspection and corrosion evaluation
- Steel casing thickness
[X] PVC Borehole
[_] Not Necessary
Features & Benefits
- Higher logging speed – speed of rotation of the mirror can reach up 35 rps
- Choice of azimuthal resolutions extended up to 360 acoustic traces per mirror revolution – higher image resolution obtained in bigger diameter boreholes
- Dynamic range of the measurement extended to 16 bits
- Improved signal/noise ratio – better results obtained in adverse borehole conditions
- Casing thickness algorithms and process refined
- Behind PVC operating mode available
- Acoustic head ruggedized to prevent coax failure
- Software interface reviewed for optimizing the tool settings
Specifications – Metric/English
|Weight||6.7 Kg||14.7 lbs.|
|Max. Pressure||200 bar||2900 psi|
Acoustic Sensor: Fixed transducer, rotating focusing mirror
Focus Optimized For: 15.2 cm / 6” borehole
Frequency: 1.2 MHz
Acoustic Beam Width: 1.5 mm focal distance
Rotation Speed: Up to 35 Revolutions/sec.
Samples per Rev.: 72, 144, 216, 288, and 360
Measurement Range: 5 to 51 cm / 2” to 20” borehole
Caliper Resolution: 0.08 mm / .003”
Orientation Sensor: APS 544, 3-Axis Magnetometer and Accelerometer
Inclination Accuracy: ± 0.5 º
Azimuth Accuracy: ± 1.2 º
QL Stack Possibilities
- QL40ABI-2G + QL40GR (Gamma): Water-well Monitoring, Contaminant Intrusion Studies
- QL40ABI-2G + QL40GR (Gamma) + QL40ELOG (Resistivity): Identification of Aquifers
- QL40ABI-2G + QL40GR (Gamma) + QL40ELOG (Resistivity)+QL40CAL (Caliper): Hydrogeologist’s Tool, Groundwater exploration, assessment, and well completion
WellCAD® Software is an advanced log processing and visualization software recommended for use with all Mount Sopris logging probes. The WellCAD Image & Structure Interpretation (ISI) Workspace, used in conjunction with the QL40-ABI-2G provides:
- Fully interactive structure interpretation: Acoustic caliper, Structure logs, Polar, and Rose diagrams
- Processing techniques: Trace interpolation, despiking filters, normalization, recentralize image, etc.
- 3D Log Visualization for virtual cores, breakouts, well deformation, and pipe corrosion
For more information, please refer to the WellCAD Image & Structure Interpretation Workspace news post.