The Pathfinder winch is our newest generation of small, portable borehole logging winches. It is capable of positioning a geophysical probe or digital camera in a borehole and lowering and raising them to collect a wide variety of geophysical data sets or borehole video. The Pathfinder winch replaces and improves upon our older Miniwinch line. 2.54 mm (1/10 inch) single conductor cable is no longer available, but we can now spool up to 333 m of 3.17 mm (1/8 inch) single conductor cable.
The system is equipped with slip ring and connections through which surface instrumentation can communicate with the probe. A precision measuring wheel and rotary encoder are also included to allow the amount of cable played out to be tracked. The cable is wrapped on the drum in even layers through a manually operated, tiller arm.
The motor is controlled by an 120VAC or 230VAC four-quadrant motor speed controller that allows the speed to remain constant with a varying load and prevents over-driving with heavy loads. The winch is used in conjunction with the current ScoutPro, MSI 360 Digital Camera, or Matrix consoles (or the older Scout logger) with the proper mounting rails, and a portable PC to achieve a complete logging system.
There are 3 standard ways Mount Sopris can customize a Pathfinder winch based on customer requirements:
- Power/Electrical connections: 120 VAC, 230 VAC options with US/Canadian style electrical plug, European electrical plug, or Australian electrical plug.
- Cablehead: This winch is customarily supplied with the 2CHS-1000 Mount Sopris single conductor cablehead or the 2CHG-1000 Gearhart-Owen four conductor cablehead.
- Cable length: The winch is designed for single conductor 3.17 mm (1/8 inch) diameter cable up to 333 m (1092 ft) in length. It can also be supplied with no cable.
For example, here are four models common in the Pathfinder winch line:
- PF-1-4-3: Spooled with 333m (1092ft) of 3.17mm (1/8in) single conductor cable, 120 VAC, 2CHG cablehead (Gearhart-Owen 4 conductor)
- PF-2-4-2: Spooled with 233 m (764 ft) of 3.17mm (1/8in) single conductor cable, 230 VAC, 2CHG cablehead (Gearhart-Owen 4 conductor)
- PF-2-1-3: Spooled with 333m (1092ft) of 3.17mm (1/8in) single conductor cable, 230 VAC, 2CHS cablehead (Mount Sopris single conductor)
- PF-1-1-2: Spooled with 233 m (764 ft) of 3.17mm (1/8in) single conductor cable, 120 VAC, 2CHS cablehead (Mount Sopris single conductor)
Like the older Miniwinches, the Pathfinder winches are set at the factory to operate at either 120VAC or 230VAC and cannot run at another voltage without first changing wiring. If the winch is configured for 230 VAC, there will be a red label below the POWER IN connector indicating 230 VAC. The ScoutPro or Matrix consoles can automatically switch between 120VAC and 230 VAC. The small aluminum tripod and ship kit are sold separately; this is different from how the Miniwinches were sold.
|Motor:||1/20 HP, SCR type|
|Controller:||4 quadrant, with current limit|
|Depth Encoder:||128 PPR Optical Quadrature|
|Logging Speed:||0 to 6 m/min (0 to 20 ft/min)|
|Load:||18.1 kg (40 lbs.)|
|Loggable Cable Capacity:||985 ft (300 m) 1/8 inch single conductor|
|Shipping Weight 333 m cable:||46.3 kg (102 lbs.)|
|Shipping Weight 233 m cable:||40.8 kg (90 lbs.)|
|Shipping Weight No cable:||31.7 kg (70 lbs.)|
|Shipping Case Dimensions:||65.9 x 48.3 x 48.9 cm (24.96 x 19.01 x 19.25 in.)|
It is important to prevent kinking or bending the logging cable to not damage the insulated center conductor. The wireline cablehead should be inspected periodically for electrical and mechanical integrity. To prevent loss of tools, we recommend re-heading every three to 6 months or more often as conditions indicate.
NOTE: When using a DC to AC inverter to power the winch, a true sine-wave inverter is required for smooth winch operation. Minimum power requirement for such an inverter is 600 watts, which should also allow operation of the logger.