The MX Winch is a portable logging winch capable of positioning a geophysical probe or other downhole logging tools in a borehole. The MX winch product line is comprised of the MXA, MXB and MXC winches. The system is equipped with a slip ring, cable level wind, depth measure head, mechanical brake, and connections through which surface data logger can communicate with the downhole probe.
A high-precision measuring wheel and rotary encoder are included to allow the amount of cable played out to be tracked. The cable is automatically wrapped on the drum in even layers through the level wind mechanism. The motor is controlled by an 110V or 220V four-quadrant motor speed controller that allows the speed to remain constant with a varying loads and prevents overhauling with heavy loads. It includes a mechanical brake.
Motor: 1/4 hp, SCR type
Controller: 4 Quadrant, with current limit
Speed: 0 to 26 m/min (85 ft/min)
Load: 46 kg (100 lbs)
- MXA: 500 m (1640 ft) 1/8 in. (3.17 mm) diameter single conductor cable
- MXB: 480 m (1575 ft) 3/16 in. (4.76 mm) diameter single, coaxial, or four conductor cable
- MXC: 1000 m (3281 ft) 1/8 in. (3.17 mm) diameter single conductor cable
- MXA with 500 m of 1/8 in. (3.17mm) diameter cable = 70 kg (155 lbs)
- MXB with 480 m of 3/16 in. (4.76mm) diameter cable = 98 kg (217 lbs)
- MXC with 1000 m of 1/8 in. (3.17mm) diameter cable = 105 kg (233 lbs)
- MXA: 40.6 x 52 x 30.5 cm (16 x 20.5 x 12 in.)
- MXB or MXC: 40.6 x 55.9 x 38.8 cm (16 x 22 x 14.5 in.)
- Case Size: 66 x 66 x 61 cm (26 x 26 x 24 in.)
Cable off-axis Tolerance: 10° left, 10° right, 12° down, 45° up
Depth Encoder: Quadrature 200 pulses/turn standard, others available.
NOTE: When using a DC inverter to power the winch, a true sine-wave inverter is required for smooth winch operation. Minimum power requirement for such an inverter is 600 watts, which should also allow operation of the logger.